Report by our on-the-spot consultant;
"Some wanted to come down the Kentmere side of Garburn, some wanted to go up it and I think, to be honest, some wanted to go nowhere near either side.
But eventually a decision was made and we started up the tarmac climb to the tracks along the west side of Kentmere heading for the stepping stones and ford. Just after that was the first split. I had always been intrigued by atrack shown on the map to a disused quarry high on the fellside from where it appeared to be a simple traverse round the shoulder of the hill to join the main Garburn track slightly down on the Troutbeck side.
A warm sunny evening seemed an ideal chance to check it out, especially as it would allow me to gauge how much time it saved as the rest of the group would be heading on down to Kentmere Hall and up the pass in the normal way. I was surprised, but pleased when George said he would come with me. I don't think I've ever had anyone volunteer for one of my sorties into the unknown.
Its perhaps unnecessary to report the full details. Suffice to say it's only ridable in parts; most of the track being indistinct, muddy, covered in hoof divots and cow poo, steep, soggy, tick infested and totally overgrown withhead high bracken. It also got us to the top of the pass just after Grant arrived the normal way, and we all know how quick that is! There we stopped for sliced Yorkshire Tea Loaf and Butter and to learn that Ian, Harry andTrevor had returned to Staveley via the tracks on the eastern side of Kentmere as it afforded a greater chance of being back for chips. And beer.
After all the effort getting up, it was time for everyone to enjoy the descent. Except me. The first pull on my front brake lever had hydraulic fluid spurting from my Hope Mini callipers and me hurtling unchecked down the steep bit. I seemed to have developed an 'olive/banjo interface malfunction' as NASA would say. Which translates as 'its knackered' to the rest of us.
So whilst I nursed 'Fat Harry' back to Staveley happy in the knowledge I had done my best to retain the 'Worst Maintained Bike in Rads Award', everyone else made the most of a lovely evening with a return trip via High Borrans, the Stepping Stones (for a second time) and the long grassy descent." Jim
Next week meet at Hawkshead for a ride over Claife.
No comments:
Post a Comment