Saturday, November 11, 2006

9th November 2005 - Claife

It was a cold winters night...but still 8 turned out and met at Claife Crier Bar, Sawrey Hotel, Far Sawrey, some folk even took the ferry to enjoy a moonlit sail across the lake, apparently they were not even charged, but they did not go back via the ferry in case they were rumbled! After much messing about getting ready and deciding what to wear, one layer or five? we set off up the bridleway next to the hotel heading north, this route gets us out at the top of a great descent down to the lake side, in daylight it is a challenge but with a little moon light it seemed enjoyable. We then went north along the lake, we kept going passed Bell Grange (and so did not take the steps up the hill) and headed past the parking area at Red Nab and took a left turn around Bella Wray , up a track to get us onto the scab moss forrest track, along the way we nearly lost Grant & Joel, too much chat at the back, but they found us...so we carried on. At the track we had a little discussion on direction, but as it was cold we kept it simple, head right and round to the guide posts, where we had a snack break, Jamie & CT competing for the best chocolate snack, next time we must make the effort and bring something home produced, now who was it that volunteered....?
No time to stand and get cold, take the first track on the left and enjoy the tricky descent at the bottom turn right and head immediately up another tricky rocky route, a quick regroup at the intersection and upwards up another tester to get into the woods and continue out onto the open fells and head down past Wise Een & Moss Eccles Tarns. Carry on down and take the left turn at the second gate, heading back to Far Sawrey, there is a small ford to cross over Wilfin Beck, which looked reasonable, but CT made a meal of it, George rode past and Joel stopped laughing and caused a pile up behind him, no time to stop it was too cold, race back to the cars and head for the bar to warm up those toes.
Next week its Gilpin Bridge Inn, Lyth Valley - will someone make cake???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did risk being rumbled! Although I'd had the excitement of mountain biking in the dark, I still felt I just needed an extra buzz. So with this in mind I went for the double, a return trip on the last ferry! Ian and I were not charged on our way to the ride, could my luck hold? Despite being the only passenger, and speaking to the ferryman as he cleared up to finish his shift, and I yes, admit I lost my nerve and even offered him my pre-paid ticket, he wouldn't take it. What a climax to a memorable night!