Sunday, March 16, 2014

Saturday 15th March - FAT demo ride = FUN

Wheelbase Big Demo ride had managed to get 'Genesis bikes' to bring a Caribou FAT bike and I booked onto the 2pm Garburn ride. The only down side was that the demo bike came 1x10 with a 32 teeth front ring, so the climb up Garburn was going to be hard! Big 4" fat tyres roll fine and it is basically a rigid bike, so similar to my hardtail, but with BIG tyres. The idea is that the large tyres run at lower pressure giving both grip and some level of suspension, so getting the air pressure correct is the factor. There were sixteen folk on the ride round Garburn and the FAT caused much amusement! I took it steady up Dubbs and then went for the climb, a little bit of out of the saddle climbing was required and the tyres dug in well and I managed to keep going to clean the climb:) rest at the top and take some air out of the front tyre. I took the downhill carefully as usual for me and it was fine, only lower down and the section down 3 rivers did I fully enjoy the descent, the big tyres run well and the blast down was great. Photos to show the bike and group heading up Garburn.
FAT bike, Genesis Cariou

Group Demo ride up Garburn

No comments: