Tuesday, October 21, 2008

16th October 2008 Watermill Inn, Ings for Garburn!

It was a dark moonlit night as the 3 intrepid explorers (Grant, Neil, Joel) bravely gathered at the rendezvous location (OK... Ings) and then the argument started. Grant had seen the light were on in the pub and could almost smell the chips, 'do we have to do Garburn', 'why don't we don't a smaller rider, nobody will notice', 'we can tell them all we went on an epic'. I suggested we were scheduled to do Garburn so we should continue with the ride and that caused another discussion... 'well which way round?'... 'Troutbeck to Kentmere' I suggested. And so to cut a long story short, Grant said it was now my decision and 'I was going to pay for my actions!'...

...and then it got really dark...

We began by climbing up the road, past Broadgate Farm, Mislet and up Dubbs reservoir, continuing past the quarry where the twinkling lights of Troutbeck and Limefit could be seen below. The moon was almost full and it was surprisingly warm for the time of year, although that could be due to the fact that we hadn't seen a downhill section yet and we were still climbing. I then made the mistake of questioning whose 'great idea it was to go this way round'... I felt that Neil and Grant were surprisingly calm about it!

We all regrouped at the final gate at the top of Garburn before the descent, Grant was obviously still in training mode because he was first at the top followed by Neil and then me, although my excuse was that I'm still recovering! Everyone discussed their fears of the descent in the dark, all I know is that there is a gnarly bit a third of the way down, so Grant gave a Jamie masterclass in the art of the attack position which is described as lowering your body position on the descent and not stretching out and raising your body up when things get tricky.

All seemed to be going well until I ended up on a ditch and Neil injured himself with his handbars so we will have to follow the teachings of the shamen that is Jamie Booth a little more closely, and rely less on Grant the apprentice.

Once we had all arrived safely it was decided to blast along the road to Browfoot, through the farm, up the hill on the road, and turning left at the top and through The Heights before the descent back to the road above Ings where the rocks were more slippery than ever and it was more of a challenge than Garburn!

On arrival back at Ings it was too cold to change so the pub and chips were off this week.

Next ride: 23th Oct Sedbergh for Dentdale with lights (6.30 for 6.45 departure)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great write up for the blog - sounded like a really good ride - glad I didn't miss it.